My blog provides tips for new writers on writing paragraphs, tackling grammar, and designing essays. There are also prompts for creative writers and ideas for tutoring and teaching writing. Enjoy!

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Addressing clauses and phrases that begin sentences



Clauses and phrases at the start of a sentence are a favorite of mine in tutoring sessions because I can usually get a student to laugh. I explain these opening words as extra clothing on a sentence. The sentence starts with a word like when, after, under, or on. I tell the student that the pattern goes like so:

When blah blah blah blah blah, ___what___does___what________.
Under yadda yadda yadda yadda, ___who___does___what________.

The student usually finds it funny that a tutor says “blah blah blah”--a little humor which helps the student feel comfortable. The larger point is that she starts seeing a pattern: A comma should be placed after the long phrase or clause and before the subject and verb. I tell the student, “You start this sentence with a subordinate clause or long phrase. Find the end of it and add a comma.” Next time I can say, “There’s a comma missing in this sentence. Where might it go?” and if the student needs a hint I’ll add “Blah blah blah” and she says, “OH, yeah!” Students seem to take clauses as a challenge and enjoy discovering the ends of them. In later paragraphs, they often start saying, “That’s a long phrase, I think, so does it need a comma?” I celebrate these moments because it means they can fix their own work.

No comments: