My blog provides tips for new writers on writing paragraphs, tackling grammar, and designing essays. There are also prompts for creative writers and ideas for tutoring and teaching writing. Enjoy!

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Don't use don't; use do not.

If you are writing something formal such as an essay for class or a cover letter for a job, avoid using contractions. Here are examples:
don't = do not
isn't = is not
I'm = I am
aren't/ain't (slang) = are not
Let's = let us
haven't = have not
won't = will not
can't = cannot (watch the spelling; it is all one word)
It's = It is
There's = There is/There are
They're = They are
They've = They have
I've = I have
Contractions should be avoided in formal writing. However, don't (do not) confuse contractions with the apostrophes used in possession: Bob's car. Possessive apostrophes are fine in formal writing.

No comments: